Explore helderberg on foot
There are eight trails in the Reserve, of which the Brown Route and Baboon Traverse are non-circular. Membership cards are obtainable at the Visitor Centre.
- The Pink (West Peak and The Dome) goes to the top of the Helderberg Mountain which is outside the Reserve and for experienced hikers only.
- The Green (Woodies Walk) is also outside the Reserve.
- The Brown (Watsonia) is the only non-circular route.
- The Orange (Baboon Traverse) is a new section of trail linking Watsonia, West Peak and The Dome via Porcupine Buttress.
- The Purple (Waboom Trail) is a pleasant hike trail from low on Watsonia to Disa Gorge
|3 hours + break
|1 hour + break
|2 hours + break
|3 hours + break
|5 hours + break
|7 hours + break
|8 hours + break
|4.5 hours + break
|Easy walking on an established path with a relatively smooth surface.
|Walking on a path, frequently rocky, with occasional use of hands required (easy scrambling).
|Walking on or off a path. Frequent use of hands (scrambling) to pull oneself upward. Or steep downhill sections with loose stones. Or hikes where good balance or strong ankles are required.
|No exposure to heights
|Some exposure to heights
|Moderate exposure to heights
Please treat the mountain with respect and take suitable precautions when hiking:
- Wear suitable footwear. Boots are highly recommended for the longer trails
- Take sufficient water to drink
- Take warm clothing – the weather changes quickly at higher altitudes
- Wear a hat and use sunblock
- Take snacks but please no littering. Bring back your rubbish!
- NO fires under any circumstances
- In case of an unforeseen accident, it is recommended that you do not walk on your own
- Take your cellphone with you and be sure to have the emergency number for Wilderness Search And Rescue with you: +27 (0) 21 937 0300
Join one of our guided hikes and informative day walks.
A legacy of life
The rich natural environment of the Helderberg Nature Reserve is home to a wide variety of plant and animal life.