Explore helderberg on foot
There are several trails in the Reserve, of which only the Brown Route is non-circular. Many regular walkers buy an Early Riser key which allows them access to the Reserve on foot before opening hours. This is a great way to beat the heat and enjoy a quiet walk. Early Riser keys are available from the Visitor Centre. Applicants need to be a valid member of the Friends of the Helderberg Nature Reserve. Membership cards are also obtainable at the Visitor Centre.
- The Pink (West peak) route goes to the top of West peak which is outside the Reserve.
- The Green (Woodies Walk) route is also outside the Reserve. All the other trails are within the Reserve.
- The Brown (Watsonia trail) route is the only non-circular route.
- Baboon Traverse (Orange) is a new section of Trail that links the Watsonia Trail to Porcupine Buttress.
- The Dome is for experienced hikers only.
|Baboon Traverse||Orange||1A||5 minutes||400m|
|Sugarbird Walk||Yellow||1A||35 minutes||2.2km|
|Watsonia Trail||Brown||2.5B||3 hours + break||4km|
|Caracal Trail||Black||1B||1 hour + break||4.4km|
|Protea Trail||Blue||2A||2 hours + break||6.2km|
|Leopard Loop||Red||2B||3 hours + break||8.2km|
|Woodies Walk||Green||2.5B||5 hours + break||5 hours|
|West Peak||Pink||3C||7 hours + break||7 hours|
|Green||Easy walking on an established path with a relatively smooth surface.|
|Orange||Walking on a path, frequently rocky, with occasional use of hands required (easy scrambling).|
|Red||Walking on or off a path. Frequent use of hands (scrambling) to pull oneself upward. Or steep downhill sections with loose stones. Or hikes where good balance or strong ankles are required.|
|A||No exposure to heights|
|B||Some exposure to heights|
|C||Moderate exposure to heights|
Please treat the mountain with respect and take suitable precautions when hiking:
- Wear suitable footwear. Boots are highly recommended for the longer trails
- Take sufficient water to drink
- Take warm clothing – the weather changes quickly at higher altitudes
- Wear a hat and use sunblock
- Take snacks but please no littering. Bring back your rubbish!
- NO fires under any circumstances
- In case of an unforeseen accident, it is recommended that you do not walk on your own
- Take your cellphone with you and be sure to have the emergency number for Wilderness Search And Rescue with you: +27 (0) 21 937 0300
Join one of our guided and informative hikes and day walks.
A legacy of life
The rich natural environment of the Helderberg Nature Reserve is home to a wide variety of plant and animal life.