To all visitors of the Helderberg Nature Reserve
Notice of a one off cycling event within the Helderberg Nature Reserve
Where: Lower portions of the Watsonia Trail and the western portion of the Protea Trail
Date: Friday 22 March 2019
Time: From approximately 08:00 – 14:00
- An Application was received by the Management of the Helderberg Nature Reserve to allow access for the 2019 ABSA Cape Epic Mountain Bike event.
- The Application was taken to Senior Management as well as the Protected Area Advisory Committee for their consideration, and approval was granted to the Event organisers
- The Helderberg Nature Reserve will be hosting a section of Stage 5 on the 22 March 2019. Stage 5 forms part of the prestigious Queen Stage.
- A decision has been taken not to close the Reserve on this day, but to caution visitors to the presence of the cyclists on this day.
- It is anticipated that the cyclists will start to enter the Reserve from about 08:00. The last cyclist should come through by 14:00.
- Permission has also been granted for a helicopter to follow the race in order to capture the aerial video footage for television coverage.
- There will be a lead motorbike also filming the cyclists as they enter the Reserve.
- Reserve Management requests that all visitors be vigilant on this day when in the vicinity of the route.
- We are hoping for an excellent event and we hope this one off event will be a success.
- NCC Environmental Services will be assisting staff to clear the Reserve of all litter and route markings after the event. They will also compile an Environmental Report highlighting any environmental issues.
For any queries, please contact Owen Wittridge on tel: 021 444 9743, 084 528 0401 or e-mail: email@example.com